: Raw Ginger-Date Energy Balls
Dates don’t always get the recognition they deserve in the West, so we’ve created a super-healthy and delicious recipe that let’s these fruits shine. Dates, the fruit of the date palm, are rich in iron, potassium and calcium and are a great source of fiber, boasting 6 grams in one-half cup. Dates are ideal for healthy sweet treats because no added sugar is needed.
Here, we’ve combined dates with fellow nutrition powerhouse almonds, also rich in protein, fiber and vitamins and minerals. The addition of blackstrap molasses—the healthiest grade of this mineral-rich syrup—fresh ginger and spices results in a satisfying, ultra-healthy snack. Kids love these as well, especially when rolled in coconut.
So make a date to whip up a batch of these energy balls; all you need is about 15 minutes to prepare these no-bake treats.
Note: We call for Medjool dates because they are softer than other varieties. If you choose to use a harder variety, soak them in warm water for 20 minutes before use.
Raw Ginger-Date Energy Balls
Makes 18 to 24 balls depending on the size
- 2 cups plain almonds
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Shredded coconut for rolling, optional
- Place all ingredients into a food processor.
- Mix until blended and smooth.
- A “dough ball” will form. Wet hands and roll dough into 1ʺ balls.
- If using coconut, spread a thin layer on a baking sheet and roll balls through the coconut until coated.
- Store balls in a sealed container, separating layers with a sheet of parchment paper.
For more recipes visit Natural Vitality Living http://naturalvitalityliving.com/category/recipes/